Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
Information sur le ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
Health and Social Services System in Brief
The mission of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS) and the health and social services network is to maintain, improve and restore the population’s health and well-being by providing access to a range of integrated and quality health and social services and thereby, contributing to the social and economic development of Québec.
- Bodies and Committees under the authority of the minister
- Québec Health Regions
- Health and Social Services Institutions
- Other partners of the system
- List of laws whose application falls under partial or complete authority of the Minister of Health and Social Services (only available in French)
Data on the health and social services workforce
The health and social services workforce represents approximately 6.9% of the Québec’s active population. As of March 31, 2014, the network employed:
- 975 managers, professionals and public servants at the Ministère itself, as well as 1,702 at the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
- 268,127 managers or employees in the regional authorities or other health and social services agencies, as well as public or private institutions under agreement:
- 191,295 persons allocated to service programs including 112,973 nurses, nursing assistants or orderlies and 58,341 technicians or health and social services professionals
- 76,832 persons allocated to support programs or members of the management staff
In addition, in 2013-2014, 30,318 professionals were remunerated by the RAMQ, of which 8,710 were general practitioners, 9,779 were specialist physicians and 3,544 were medical residents.
The health and social services agencies were abolished on April 1, 2015, when the Act to Modify the Organization and Governance of the Health and Social Services Network, in Particular by Abolishing the Regional Agencies (CQLR, c. O-7.2) came into force. Part of their workforce was transferred in the new institutions and in the Ministère.
Last update: August 5, 2015 1:32 PM