1. What are VRE?
VRE (Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci) are enterococci that have developed a resistance to several types of antibiotics, including vancomycin. VRE does not cause more infections than other enterococci but restricts the choice of treatment (antibiotic therapy).
- 2. What are enterococci?
- 3. How are VRE detected?
- 4. How are VRE transmitted?
- 5. How long do VRE remain in stools?
- 6. What precautions will be taken when a VRE-carrier goes to the hospital?
- 7. How can I prevent VRE from spreading at home?
- 8. What if a VRE-carrier is receiving home-care?
- 9. When should hands be washed in the presence of VRE?